I am a postdoc working on genomic data analysis of breast cancer with Dr. Javier Arsuaga at UC Davis. I have a dual position: I am a Krener Assistant Professor in the Department of Mathematics and Postdoctoral Researcher in the Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology.
I work in the field of computational topology. I am interested in low-dimensional topology in the PL setting, the construction of (potentially) exotic spheres, and applications of topology in computational biology. For my dissertation, I built simplicial complexes that have interesting topological properties and then used them as test objects to improve heuristic algorithms in topological software.
I have a PhD in mathematics from TU Berlin. My doctoral studies were supported by the Berlin Mathematical School. My doctoral supervisors were Frank Lutz and John Sullivan. I was also advised by Michael Joswig, Günter Ziegler, Bruno Benedetti, and Carsten Lange.
- Brian Green, Nicholas Scoville and Mimi Tsuruga. Estimating the discrete Lusternik–Schnirelmann category, Topol. Methods Nonlinear Anal., 45(1):103-116, 2015.
- Michael Joswig, Frank H. Lutz, and Mimi Tsuruga. Sphere Recognition: Heuristics and Examples, Extended abstract In: Mathematical Software – ICMS 2014, 4th Internat. Conf., Seoul, 2014 (H. Hong and C. Yap, eds.). Lecture Notes in Computer Science 8592, 152-159. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2014. arXiv:1405.3848 [math.GT].
- Mimi Tsuruga and Frank H. Lutz, Constructing Complicated Spheres, arXiv:1302.6856 [math.CO], Extended abstract In: EuroCG 2013, 29-32 (2013).
papers in preparation
- Sadok Kallel and Ines Saihi. Homotopy groups of diagonal complements. (Appendix by Mimi Tsuruga.)
- Frank H. Lutz, Konstantin Mischaikow, Vidit Nanda, and Mimi Tsuruga. Practical aspects of computing homology groups via discrete Morse theory.
- Mimi Tsuruga, Frank H. Lutz. Constructing complicated spheres (Full version).
- Mimi Tsuruga, Frank H. Lutz, and Karim Adiprasito. A triangulation of Mazur’s manifold and its collapsible cousins.
- HTCA Workshop 2015: polymake tutorial, Genoa, Italy
- Topological Combinatorics Oberseminar, Freie Universität, Berlin, Germany
- Topology/Geometry seminar, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- Joint Mathematics Meetings 2014, Maryland, USA
- Topological Structures in Computational Biology, IMA Minnesota, USA
- Applied Topology, Bedlewo, Poland
- ETAM 2013 (Etna Triangulations and Algebra Meeting), Catania, Italy
- EuroCG 2013 (European Workshop on Computational Geometry), Braunschweig, Germany
- BMS Student Conference 2013, Berlin, Germany
- KolKom 2012 (Kolloquium über Kombinatorik), Berlin, Germany
- I was one of the organizers of the “What is …?” seminars (2009-2015).
- I was a BMS Student Representative twice (2009-2010 and 2010-2011).
- I am a former intern at Wolfram Research, Inc (2007).
- I was part of illiMath2006 — an REU at UIUC with George Francis. I worked on Sakubo.
- I am the founder and former president of the non-profit organization Hoshuko Alumni Association.
- I am a former student and instructor at the Sato Soroban School.
- I am a former president of Pi Mu Epsilon – New York Beta Chapter at Hunter College.s